March 25, 2020
Dear Greene Community:
Thank you for your patience as we pivot to our online learning norms. As reported today, all PAUSD schools will remain closed until May 1st across all Bay Area Counties. After Spring Break (Monday, April 13) PAUSD will begin Phase III of our school closure learning plan.
Students should now be able to access the following in their Schoology courses:
- Office Hours (3 hours per day): teachers are available to help students
- Up to three hours of content learning per course, per week
- Updated Zoom Guidelines and Norms for students, teachers and counselors
- Parents, please allow students their independence while using Zoom with their classes and teachers.
Moving forward, PAUSD remains committed to providing an asynchronous learning environment. This approach provides students and families with the necessary flexibility to complete learning activities at times most convenient for the students (In this model, a family can arrange each member’s computer use and work time.)
Expectations during Phase II (Monday, March 23 – Friday, April 3):
- Students are expected to independently engage in the Flexible Learning Options (FLOs) posted on Schoology.
- Teachers will monitor student participation on Schoology and will be available for support during their posted Office Hours.
- If you have questions about your teachers’ Office Hours, please contact them directly via Schoology or email.
- Parents, please support students by setting aside adequate time to participate in each subject area within a balanced routine.
- Manage the time spent in each class. Some may tend to “cram” all of their efforts in one class.
We recognize this is a stressful time as families adapt to a new lifestyle. Internet connections may be unreliable and too much online-time can be overwhelming. We respect your family decisions to take necessary breaks, prioritize mental health and wellness, and recognize the learning curve we face during our extended school closure.
Device distribution at Ohlone Elementary School front office on Monday, March 30th between 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM. Please contact your grade level counselor if you are in need of a device.
Counselors will survey students toward the end of the week to assess how students are doing with their online learning, and how they are taking care of themselves.
Thank you for staying connected to Greene by reading these community messages. I look forward to sending you another weekly update on Wednesday, April 1.
Valerie Royaltey-Quandt, Principal, Greene Middle School