This is the website of the Greene Middle School Parent Teacher Association, “Greene PTA” or “GPTA” for short. Our membership is comprised of parents/caretakers of Greene students, as well as teachers and staff members of Greene Middle School.
As a community, we help create the school and community that we want for our families by hosting community building events and educational programming for our parents and by supplementing state and district funding for school equipment and materials for our students.
The First day of School is Monday, August 17th, 2020 for all PAUSD students and will be online/through distance learning. Head to the District’s website for more information: www.pausd.org.
Are you new to Greene? Although the COVID situation will upend many of our normal routines and schedules for the 2020-2021 school year, there will be some aspects of Middle School that will endure. For our incoming 6th grade and transferring 7th/8th grade students, we hope these orientation videos are helpful. These videos are also on the school’s website.
*Incoming 6th Grade presentation – StuCo 2020.mp4. Created by 6th Grade Assistant Principal Mimi Kwon and members of the 2019-2020 Student Council
*6th Grade Tours.mp4 Created by graduating 8th graders/members of Greene’s Class of 2020
Do you want to learn more about our school community? Please subscribe to our eNewsletter.
Click here to find out who was Frank S, Greene, Jr.
SPACES LIMITED. Please REGISTER HERE.
Thursday, June 4th, 2020
Dear Greene Families,
Thank you for your support during these unprecedented times, first with Covid-19 and the Shelter-In-Place order, and now with the nationwide awareness of racial inequality. This is a uniquely challenging year. We are learning to adapt to this new world. Thank you for meeting all of these challenges with open minds and optimism.
Here is short recap of our PTA contributions during 2019-2020:
Volunteer Hours: For this truncated school year, our parents put in 1262.9 hours to support our school’s community! And, we know this number is on the low side because many of you just show up to lend a helping hand for our school and PTA – THANK YOU!
Donations: In 2019-2020, the Greene PTA received ~$179K in donations. THANK YOU!!
Almost 70% of your donations went to support students at Greene.
Top 3 categories:
~$46,000 for Technology, e.g. desktops, iPads, Chromebooks + charging carts, printers, smart boards, etc. Your donations to the PTA helped pay for the replacement of 32 desktop computers in room E6, 30 iPads, and 270 Chromebooks. Equipment replacements are metered to smooth out turnover.
~$33,000 for Teacher Supplies. Each of our 120+ Greene staff members is eligible for a PTA grant of $500 max to spend on classroom needs. Teachers used this fund to purchase equipment and supplies to directly benefit your children’s education. Items purchased by teachers included headphones for chromebooks, microphones, magazine subscriptions, classroom books, supplemental supplies for classroom instruction, etc.
~$28,000 for Arts and Enrichment. The biggest chunk of this category goes to the deep cleaning and refurbishment of school instruments, which occurs over the summer when instruments are returned. Your donations also funded materials and tools for Industrial Tech, clay, paint, and paper for Art, and the food for the Cooking classes, etc.
Another 5% went to Staff Appreciation This year, we hosted 2 Luncheons for the entire staff: Back to School and Valentine’s Day. Also every month until March, we treated Greene staffers to a Latte Cart and bagels from Izzy’s.
PTA Community/ Events came in ~20% of our spending, for all of our PTA programs and events: Back To School Social, Cotillion Dance, Parent Education seminars, Parent Network meetings, Just Parties Kick-Off Party, Ice Skating Parties, International Potluck, including the revamped Promotion Party which became Promotion Gifts. Due to the school closure, your donations to the Greene PTA contributed $50 per 8th grade student for a package of promotion gifts, including a contribution of $5000 to Palo Alto Community Fund‘s Covid-19 fund as their promotion gift back to the community.
The last 5% went to “Admin” which is mainly a split between the bank/credit card fees (a.k.a. PayPal) when purchases are made through our webstore and for school printing/postage fees.
With so much uncertainty in the next few months, the incoming Executive Board of the Greene PTA is still brainstorming and planning for the next school year, examining PTA programs, events, and budget for alignment with our community’s needs. We believe community-building and supporting mental health will be prevalent themes in our offerings.
Lastly, we hope that you continue to care for yourself and your family over the summer. Thank you for being a part of this wonderful school community and child advocacy group. We wish you a restful and splendid summer with your loved ones.
With the Warmest Regards,
Greene PTA Executive Board 2019-2020
- Ann Balva, President
- Valerie Rainey, EVP
- Jason Oliger, Secretary
- Nidia Lin and Brigid Farrell, Treasurers
- Karl Garcia, VP Communications
- Michelle Zhang, VP Parent Ed/Network
- Carine Schultz, VP Fundraising
- Johanna Ehrlich, VP Events and Appreciation
- Rebecca Eisenberg, Parliamentarian
06/09/2020 editor’s note: Post was edited to correct several errors in grammar and one to accuracy.
May 26, 2020
Dear Greene Parent/Guardian,
Students are invited back to campus one final time this year to complete the check-out process. Students will have up to one hour to be on campus to check out, however we anticipate check out to take NO LONGER than 20-30 min. Please check the chart below for students’ assigned checkout times. If you are unable to come to campus during your assigned time, please contact our data secretary, Ms. Ruth Jang, at email@example.com to arrange for an alternate check out time.
- Everyone will need to adhere to social distancing guidelines- staying 6 feet apart from other individuals while on campus. We will have tape and cones set up to aid with this.
- Students should arrive wearing masks and gloves.
- Bags will be provided for students to collect their belongings.
- Only students will be permitted on campus. If students are dropped off, parents must remain in their vehicle at all times. Students may ride their bikes- Bike Cage #2 (on N. California Ave) will be open and monitored for social distancing guidelines.
- Students need to bring the following items for check-out:
- Textbooks (Math, Social Studies, Science, and any reading books borrowed from classrooms)
- Library books
- Music instrument
- Chromebook (ONLY IF YOU ARE MOVING OUT OF PALO ALTO)
- While on campus, students will:
- Check in at the check in table located in front of the main office
- Return items at designated collection stations
- Clean out PE locker
- Clean out hallway locker
- Pick up medication (if needed)
- Pick up projects and student work (if needed- teachers will communicate directly with students if they have items to give back)
- Return lock (for 8th grade and any non-returning students)
- Check out and leave campus immediately
- What to do if your student has lost items:
- If you are able to pay for your lost items please either give your student:
- Exact Change if paying in cash, in a marked envelope with student’s name and what item is being paid for
- A check for each item that has been lost (must be separate checks for each item)
- If you are unable to pay for your lost item, we understand.
- You may still make any donation that is feasible for your family or if no donation is possible please have your student notify the librarian as to which item has been lost.
- For prices please go to this link : https://bit.ly/2XdeUqs
- If you are able to pay for your lost items please either give your student:
- Please remind your child that they must leave campus immediately after check out. No socializing or loitering on campus.
- Yearbooks will be distributed at a later date (TBD). Production has been delayed. We will contact you once they are available for pick up.
Student Check out Schedule – To help us control the number of people on campus, students must come at their assigned times. If you are not able to come during your time block please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an alternate time.
|Monday, June 1||Student Last Name|
|Tuesday, June 2||Student Last Name|
|9:00-9:45||E, F, Gai-Gar|
|12:00-12:45||Hu-Hw, I, J|
|Wednesday, June 3||Student Last Name|
|11:00-11:45||Mo-My, N, O|
|Thursday, June 4||Student Last Name|
|10:00-10:45||Su-Sz, T, U|
As we wrap up this very unique school year, we want to extend our deepest appreciation for the support you have provided your children this year. We look forward to seeing your student soon.
Wishing you all the best,
Greene Middle School Administration:
Valerie Royaltey-Quandt, Principal
Magdalena Fittoria, Assistant Principal
Mimi Kwon, Assistant Principal
Ana Reyes, Dean of Students